Terazije square


 Until the end of the fourth decade of the 19th century, the area that we call Terazije was a remote periphery of Belgrade. Around today's Terazije, which were then a swampy field in which the Belgradians were hunting wild ducks and floats. How far this space was far and empty is the fact that the first settlers who had planned it were craftsmen of dirty crafts: cartwright and blacksmiths. Certainly, this area was not completely insignificant because it contained the largest water tower from where water was diverted into smaller pipes. These towers are called Terazije, so the entire region is called that.
The most famous two attractions in this location are the Moscow Hotel and the Terazia Fountain.
In 1859, the building of the Terazije fountain was ordered by Prince Milos to mark his return to the throne. It was completed in 1860. At the time of the modernization work, Terazije 1911-1912 was transferred to the port of the church at Topcider, and in 1975 it was returned to its place.
In the following decades, Terazije became the center of the social life of the Serbian capital, where there were significant newsrooms, bookstores and abundance of cafes in which almost all social life was conducted. Today we find it difficult to imagine Terazije without a Moscow hotel, but at the beginning of the 20th century he was not there. In his place there was a modest cafe "Velika Srbija" which had excellent food and first class wine.
Hotel "Moscow", or "Rosia" Palace, was built in early 1906 for the needs of the Russian imperial insurance company. On this square, it was planned to place the famous Mestrovic "barker of victory", but he nevertheless ended up at the Fortress because of the public's scorn to have a statue of a man with discovered genitals in the central part of the city.
Their present appearance Terazije was obtained after a complete reconstruction in 1947.

Terazije at the beginning of the 20th century



CONVERSATION

0 коментара:

Постави коментар